18 Nov 2009

To wear a coat or not to wear a coat?

I realised at the end of September that for the past two winters I had got away with NOT wearing a coat. I wore cotton jackets, blazers and everything but a coat. Since I had managed to do this for two years, I thought I would get away with it again 3rd winter in a row. The funny thing is I have no idea what I was remotely trying to prove, if anything at all. You see I actually HEART the season winter & reap the utmost joy and pleasure in wrapping up in the best wool number I can find. Over the years this has come in the form of a Burberry quilted coat, a Reiss herringbone and the list goes on. But for the past month I have been soldiering the British weather & riding high WITHOUT a coat.

At work my friends, Livie & La diva are constantly rabbiting on about me not wearing a coat and I have always had an excuse. 'The shoulder pads on this dress won't allow.', 'I live closer to work now so, the journey is not long enough for me to get cold.' I mean what the HELL!!! :)

Well the weekend just gone, it all went to pot when my mum asked me why I continue to travel through the cold streets of London without a coat on. She went on and on about it so much that I just couldn't take it anymore. Having carefully thought about it, I realised that my current problem was that after just getting married, paying lots of bills, and going part time at work, I just couldn't afford the kind of coat that I wanted.

I obviously won a sympathy vote because when I next went to visit mum, she offered me a golden handshake and when I opened my palm it was filled with enough money to buy the coat of my dreams. Hallelujah, Christmas had come early! The time for some long awaited retail therapy had arrived.

I hopped straight onto NET-A-PORTER.COM and drew out some contenders (that I had picked out earlier) ;-/:

1. Vanessa Bruno Wrap-over wool coat



2. Burberry Double-breasted cashmere-blend coat



3.Helmut Lang Wrap wool trench coat



After much debate (I can be so darn indecisive) and some votes from La diva, Livie & a few other trusty friends at work, I decided to go for the Vanessa Bruno number! Yay!

The life and times of a self acclaimed diva....Arghhhh..... :)

2 comments: